Engineering Your Tomorrow
Annual Engineering Your Tomorrow event inspires girls in grades 6th-8th to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
As featured on these news outlets
What is the Engineering Your Tomorrow (EYT) event about?
This event, sponsored by DuPont, Girls, Inc and the Girls Scouts, has been going on in New Castle for 29 years. The Delaware Foundation for Science and Math Education, Mountaire Farms, Delaware Technical and Community College along with the Sussex County STEM Alliance helped to bring the first EYT event to Sussex County last April.
The event is for girls in grades 6th-8th and their parents. When the girls arrive, they are split into 8 groups. Each group is paired with a guide who is usually in a STEM career/ industry. The girls participate in hands-on engineering and science activities throughout the day. The parents attend a panel discussion with some of Delaware’s top engineers and STEM related career people. Discussions are held on the importance of supporting their girls’ interests toward STEM and how to select the correct coursework.
Why is this important?
The number of females seeking STEM careers is far below the number of males, as is the actual female numbers in STEM jobs. Even though last year’s numbers increased ever so slightly, we are still far behind when the future is telling us that over 80% of jobs will be STEM related.
Become a volunteer at the upcoming event!
Become a Guide
Angela Robbins at Angela.Robbins@irsd.k12.de.us
8- 10 Guides are needed to
- lead the girls to their activities throughout the day,
- assist in helping the activity leaders with the passing out of materials etc.,
- keep their girls together and on schedule,
- have a follow up discussion about the activity
Become a STEM Activity Leader
Diane Calloway at Diane.email@example.com
8-10 Activity leaders are needed to
- lead a given activity for 45 minutes, twice in the am and twice in the pm
- 2 activity leaders per activity, so you will not be alone.
- materials will be placed in rooms ( unless you have an outstanding activity with materials for 60 girls)
Assist with Parent Panel guests, food, hall guides, doors, and registeration
Cindy Isaacs firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3 door monitors 8:30 am to 10am
- 5 hall guides 8:30 to 10am
- 4 breakfast helpers 7:30 to 10 am
- 6 Lunch helpers 11 am to 1 pm
- 5-6 REGISTRATION Helpers 8 am to 9:30 am
- 4 Decor set up 7am to 8:30 am