Deadline: July 19, 2018
DMC Members: $400
July 25-27, 2018
8:30AM – 3:30PM
Virden Center: Lewes, DE
- Engage in a progression of purposefully sequenced problem-based learning experiences designed to deepen participants’ understanding of traditionally misunderstood secondary mathematics topics
- Consciously study, design, and rehearse routines that promote active listening, mathematical reasoning, and making conceptual connections
- Utilize instructional supports that promote rough draft talk and students’ acquisition of and precision in the use of mathematical language
- Analyze classroom video with an explicit focus on creating strong mathematical learning environments that feature equitable practices.
- Build sustainable relationships that promote ongoing collaborations focused on empowering learners (students and teachers) of mathematics.
Delaware’s “STEM Queen” to Speak at Virtual Social Event Hosted by Downstate STEM-focused Nonprofit
Sussex County, Delaware—The Sussex County STEM Alliance, Inc., working in collaboration with the Lewes Public Library, is hosting its monthly virtual social event on September 22nd at 5:30pm ET. This month’s guest speaker will be Jacqueline Means, the internationally renowned STEM Queen, who will speak to attendees about the challenges that women and girls face in pursuing science, technology engineering, and math (STEM) careers. The nonprofit organization seeks to link community members, educators, students, parents, and other stakeholders throughout southern Delaware in order to focus on making Sussex County a national leader in STEM advances.
Jackie Means, known as Delaware’s “STEM Queen,” has carved out a name for herself in the STEM world for her efforts to connect young girls with their passion for science and math. Jackie’s dedication to encouraging and inspiring women in STEM has sparked enthusiasm in the community, and she’s been interviewed on the Today Show, Access Hollywood, The Kelly Clarkson Show, The Steve Harvey Show, among other programs.
This virtual social event is part of a community outreach series that the Sussex County STEM Alliance hosts to bring the community together around meaningful discussions STEM related topics that are impacting Sussex County and its surrounding communities.
The public is invited to attend this free virtual social event and is encouraged to invite guests to participate in the online session. The social will include opening remarks from the Sussex County STEM Alliance, followed by the featured guest speaker, Jacqueline Means. The evening will include a variety of breakout discussions and group dialogue around fostering and building equality in STEM.
Anyone interested in signing up for this free event is encouraged to register online through the Lewes Public Library or by visiting www.sussexstem.org/social.
About Jacqueline Means
Jacqueline Means, aka “The STEM Queen”, is the proud founder of the Wilmington Urban STEM Initiative. She started the Initiative to empower girls in her underprivileged community and increase their interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) through her innovative STEM education program and her Girls Empowerment STEM Events. If you’d like to learn more about Jacqueline, you’re encouraged to visit her online at www.stem-queen.com