SCSA Tour: Delaware State Police
SCSA Committee Tour – Delaware State Police
On August 29th, 2018 the Sussex County STEM Alliance, in partnership with the Delaware State Police, hosted a tour for area educators and industry leaders conducted at two locations summarized below:
Delaware Information and Analysis Center (DIAC)
After a brief introduction from Lt Col Hudson, Delaware State Police, and Clint Perkinson, SCSA Board Member, the tour started with presentations covering the following:
- Information Systems Support structure and responsibilities – Jim Cashnelli, ISS Director
- Delaware Information and Analysis Center Overview – Lt Lloyd
- High Tech Crimes Unit (HTCU) Overview – Sgt Wells
- Maritime Security System Overview – Mr. Ron Bounds
Delaware State Policy Headquarters
This location started with a tour of the Delaware State Police Data Center and also covered a review of the technology housed in each of the trooper vehicles.
The Delaware State Police Information Systems team is comprised of employees developing innovative technology solutions and broken up into four support teams summarized below:
- Helpdesk/Desktop support – This team is responsible for both Helpdesk and Desktop support. They handle the initial calls for IT assistance and requests. They have the ability to remote into PCs to assist for support issues and, if necessary, physically go to the location of the issue to assist and resolve the problem. They also deploy new PC’s, printers and other IT equipment as needed.
- Network Operations – This team is responsible for all Server and Network related systems at DSP. They split their time between daily support tasks and IT projects and serve as a Tier 2 escalation point for support issues.
- Applications Support – This team is responsible for DSP specific applications support. They will either custom build/program applications to fit specific needs or work hand-in-hand with vendors on vendor supported applications to ensure these programs continue to function effectively and efficiently for the DSP users who use them on a regular basis.
- Mobile Technologies Support – This team is responsible for all of the IT systems installed in State Trooper vehicles. This includes laptops, thermal printers, in-car camera systems, cellular communications and internal networking within the vehicles. They both install and support these systems.
There was positive feedback from those that attended that this tour was an eye opener to the technology involved and STEM opportunities available with the Delaware State Police. Most see the trooper in the vehicle but not the teams working behind the scenes that provide the tools that enable the troopers to do their jobs safely and efficiently.